Navigation of contents
Writing a gun control essay is a popular assignment for high school and college students. There are a lot of wars and armed conflicts in the world. Therefore, that topic is relevant to the current events, as well as it can show the critical thinking of the student. You need to make a statement, gather a few arguments and evidence to strengthen your ideas. Also, you should research the credible sources to get a full understanding of the topic.
To start with, you need to choose a side you will be promoting. Sometimes students change their opinions throughout the research. Your task is to analyze each possible side of the arguments to make sure you are ready to debate. If you get familiar with the necessary items, pick up a strong topic, and choose an essay type. Seems complicated?
We have composed a guide on how to write a gun control essay from A to Z. You will gradually understand how to choose a topic, research it, and create an essay structure. Grab your piece of inspiration, and let’s start learning!
How to Pick Up a Suitable Gun Control Topic?
It is ridiculous to start essay writing before you find the right topic. The idea is that a suitable topic activates your brain and makes it easier to create arguments and gather evidence. However, it is hard to pick up a great essay topic from the first try. We made a list of tips to help you determine which topic suits the essay:
- Avoid taking one side before you research the subject. You are likely to change the opinion while reading allegations, international laws, and credible sources.
- Make a list of topics you are interested in. You will be researching the topic, so it should be something of your interest. Otherwise, you will not do your best.
- Analyze your average listener. The audience has to be familiar with the topic to put forward arguments or assumptions.
- Gather complete materials to demonstrate your words. Do not choose the topic, if you cannot find credible sources to reinforce your statements.
- Create an outline. Make a thesis to express your opinion. Create an introduction to explain what you want to talk about.
- Analyze each side of the argument. Since you have not chosen the topic yet, prepare a small description for each side. Then, choose the one you have most arguments about.
- Make notes while researching. It will help you compare the ideas after you finish the research.
- Make a choice. Look at the thesis, list of credible sources, and your arguments. Choose a topic you are interested in.
GET RID OF ACADEMIC PROBLEMS RIGHT NOWORDER NOW
Choose a Suitable Type of Gun Control Essay
If you are not provided with a specific type of essay, you have to choose it on your own. We recommend starting from your list of interests. However, you can either choose a type of essay first and then picking up arguments and evidence. Here are all the types of gun control essay:
- Persuasive. Your goal is to persuade the audience, using arguments and credible sources. Be creative to make the essay bright and engaging for everyone.
- Argumentative. Make strong statements and place arguments. It should be less emotional than a persuasive essay. However, pay much attention to the sources and evidence you place.
- Cause and Effect. Select an event and analyze its causes and effects. Write an outline to pick up arguments and credible evidence. Pay attention to a logical sequence of the text.
- Reflection. It is more about your personal opinion than facts and statistics. Determine your attitude to the topic and state your ideas on how to solve a problem.
- Definition. Your task is to explain the issue by analyzing its constituents. You can divide the issue into small parts and explain each of them.
- Expository. Describe the issue by placing facts and statistics. Analyze the law, gather the latest news about an event, and draw a logical conclusion.
- Annotated Bibliography. Make excerpts from credible sources to explain the issue. To put it another way, you need to write a summary of academic reports and articles. Pay attention to the formatting and citation guidelines.
Choose an essay type you are comfortable with. For example, if you are good at debating and proving your point of view, choose persuasive or argumentative type. Let us explain the difference between those.
Argumentative Essay on Gun Control
Start an essay with an introduction and make a thesis statement. Then, put the arguments and use strong evidence to prove your opinion. That type should be teeming with argumentative statements and dry facts. Analyze each side of the issue to mention counterarguments.
Persuasive Essay on Gun Control
As well as in the previous one, you need to support your statements with proper arguments and facts. However, you can turn on charisma and express your ideas. Your goal is to persuade the viewers you’ve got the point. It is more creative, as well as risky. The thing is that you must always be confident and accurate. Your speech must not cause any doubts. The good point is that you do not have to use a lot of sources to reinforce the arguments.
Useful Tips to Improve Your Gun Control Essay
You probably know that the main factors in the success of an essay are the correct structure and strong text. However, adhering only to these provisions, you forget about the other components of a quality gun control essay. Here are a few tips to succeed in academic essay writing:
- Write about what you are interested in. If you deeply know the topic, but it does not inspire you, choose another. So, you can do research without fatigue and hatred of the subject.
- Avoid unreliable information. Take your time to find credible sources and avoid failing in the paper.
- Make each statement strong and accurate. Avoid getting emotional, and do not use stereotypes. It will make your arguments vague and disputable.
- Follow the logic and sequence of sentences. Do not confuse cause and effect so as not to confuse the reader.
- Choose the proper format and style of paper. Follow the guidelines of each essay format.
- Make the Works Cited page (or References page) and put there all the sources you have used. Arrange them in chronological or use order, depending on the paper format.
Choose the Pro- or Against Gun Control Topic
The examples of gun control topics directly depend on the side you take. We have prepared two lists to provide you with pro- and against gun control topics.
Pro-Gun Control Examples
- This will help reduce social panic and eliminate its effects.
- This will give an economic advantage.
- Gun control influences suicide reduction
- The government must pass gun control law
- Gun control will increase the birth rate
- Gun control vs psychological diseases
- This will reduce illegal trade
- What are the consequences of gun control laws?
- America must impose strict restrictions on the storage of weapons
- Gun control will reduce the number of accidental kills
Against Gun Control Examples
- What are the negative consequences of adopting gun control laws?
- Tough arms limitations can cause social panic
- Enhanced Weapon Control Affects Economy
- Adopting gun control laws economically disadvantageous
- Countries that have weakened gun control
- In the current position, gun control cannot be tightened
- Tough gun control will not stop the illegal arms trade
- Ten disadvantages of tough arms limitations
How to Choose a Side? | For and Against Gun Control Arguments
To start with, you can take each topic and make it for- or against gun control. The thing is you can change your mind while researching the subject or writing an outline. So how to choose a side?
To start with, use brainstorming to come up with strong arguments. Determine whether your arguments support the statement or are likely to argue with it. Take one argument, for example, for- gun control one, and develop it into the paragraph. Evaluate how it sounds; try to make it more convincing. Do the same with the against gun control argument. Compare the results, and you will see which one sounds more engaging.
We have prepared some examples for both sides of the argument. Look at those lists to grab some inspiration.
Arguments Pro-Gun Control
- Enacting tougher gun control laws will reduce crime in poor areas.
- Hard gun control will help optimize the work of the US police and courts
- Gun control is the ability to reduce the number of random killings.
- Toughening laws on the limitation of firearms will allow to correctly allocate the budget for defense
- Enacting tight arms restriction laws will reduce the costs of tracking smuggling and illegal arms trafficking.
Arguments Against Gun Control
- The tight border of firearms adversely affects the state budget
- Gun control will not reduce the number of accidents but will worsen the US economy
- Tight restrictions on firearms can cause panic in high-crime cities
- Gun control does not solve the problem of violence but causes psychological depression
- Gun control will not reduce the number of killings but will reduce the state budget
Step by Step Guide to Writing Gun Control Essay
So, you have chosen a theme for gun control essay. However, you are confused and do not know where to start the process of writing an essay? That is why we composed step by step guide on how to create a gun control essay from scratch. Follow it to write a paper from A to Z.
- Planning. Write down the topic of the essay, thesis, and introduction. Think about what format to choose for paper and in what style to design an essay. Evaluate how strongly your thesis statement sounds and if it can interest the audience. Create an outline where you write down ideas for arguments, make some notes, and mention possible sources.
- Research. Browse through the Internet to find credible sources. Pick up strong evidence to strengthen your arguments. Find facts, statistics, and visual elements to reinforce your speech. Make sure that this topic is well discussed on the Internet. So you can find reinforcement for each side of the argument.
- Analyze your target audience. You should understand the field of the reader’s interest, needs, and knowledge base. Remember, your essay is to impress the reader, not to cause utter disagreement. That is why you should discuss each side of the argument.
- Create a draft. Do not immediately write an essay in a clean copy to avoid mistakes. When working with a selection, you will see inconsistencies and violations of the causal relationship. Start with an introduction with a thesis statement, consider creating a hook to engage the reader.
- Improve the structure. Create a body essay with 3-4 paragraphs. The center of each paragraph should be an argument in the form of a statement. Add evidence and visual elements that showcase your words. Use the conclusion to summarize the ideas, arguments, and reinforce your thesis statement.
- Edit and proofread the paper. Check the essay for grammar and punctuation errors. Make sure there is no confusion in cause and effect relationships. Proofread the paper to improve structure and engagement. Consider ordering editing help from our on-line research paper writing service.
The Example of Gun Control Essay Structure
It makes no sense to add a full gun control essay because each student has their writing style. However, we created a nice outline with a strong thesis statement, a few arguments, and a conclusion. Those are critical elements of each essay. The power and appropriateness of such elements determine the quality of your gun control essay.
- Gun control essay topic. “Tough gun control causes social fear and panic”. As you can see, we chose a topic against gun control. Pay attention to its volume and engagement. You can present it in one breath, which is very important.
- Thesis statement. “Based on public voting and polls, prohibitions on the possession of weapons cause fear and panic, especially among residents of cities with a high crime rate”. A thesis is the last sentence of the essay introduction, so it should be as strong as possible. Use brainstorming to pick up a couple of thesis examples and choose the most powerful.
- Gun control does not reduce the crime rate, but causes fear from people who cannot stand for themselves.
- Gun control laws limit the level of defense, and it violates citizens’ rights for safety.
- More stringent firearm control laws make citizens doubt safety because they do not directly guarantee it.
- Conclusion. Except summarizing, you should reinforce the thesis statement. “Tough gun control laws cannot guarantee the appropriate safety and calmness of citizens. It does not reduce the crime rate but causes fear and panic. The results of public voting show that people will not feel safe without appropriate methods of defense. It is to be hoped that gun control laws will not be met with public resistance and panic.”
Bottom Line and Extra Advice
When writing an essay on gun control, stay judicious, and dispassionate. Choose a suitable type of essay and pick up a bright topic. Use our guide to create each element of the gun control essay and put everything together. Remember to check the sources on credibility. When picking up evidence and visual data, make notes to save information about each source. It will help you compose the bibliography section.
Make sure to check the logical sequence of the text, grammar, and punctuation. When you finish the essay, edit and proofread the paper. If you run out of power, order our professional essay writing help. Just fill the online ordering form, and we will pick up the available expert writer. Make your academic life easier with our writing company.